Food Perv in the Kitchen - Vegetarian "Meatballs" [RECIPE]
Posted May 5th, 2014 @ 2:49pm
It's less meatballs, more beanballs!! This is genius, I love the idea of using beans to make meatballs. It was super yummy & although I am not a HUGE fan of pasta as leftovers, this was an exception to the rule :)
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 ½ cans (15 oz. each) Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (2 halves), roughly chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 egg
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups marinara sauce (whatever tickles you)
- Parmesan cheese
- Cooked whole-wheat pasta
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray down a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine beans and roasted red peppers. Pulse until chopped, but not pureed.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized bowl and stir in grated onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Using a rounded 2 tablespoon portion of the bean mixture, form “meatballs” by rolling between the palms of your hands. Place the “meatballs” on the baking sheet, evenly paced.
- Bake until the meatballs are firm to the touch and have developed a light golden brown coating, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat the marinara sauce over medium heat until simmering. Add “meatballs” and stir to coat. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Cookin Canuck