AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. (Nov. 15, 2022) – Northeast Florida’s Amelia Island is making the holidays merry and bright with a full schedule of festive activities around the island, including the annual highlight of the season, “Dickens on Centre” (Dec. 8-11). Free to the public, this enchanting Victorian-themed celebration of food, fun, and entertainment takes place under a canopy of twinkling lights in historic downtown
Fernandina Beach. A variety of accompanying Dickens on Centre special events, including The Enchanted Village, are also returning this year by popular demand.
“Dickens on Centre brings the entire Amelia Island community together and offers everyone a special opportunity to make lasting holiday memories,” said Gil Langley, president and CEO of the Amelia Island Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB). “Since it was introduced eight years ago, Dickens has become a great family tradition, in part due to the wide variety of activities and events like the Illuminated Procession and Enchanted Village, which is back and better than ever.”
The schedule of Dickens on Centre special events* includes:
- Dickens on Centre (Dec. 8-11): Enjoy costumed characters, themed entertainment, visits from Saint Nick, and a variety of vendors selling seasonal wares. Inspired by Charles Dickens’ novella, “A Christmas Carol,” Dickens on Centre transforms downtown Fernandina Beach into a classic English village.
- Dickens Dining & Drinks (Dec. 2-11): Enjoy this 10-day gamified culinary trail featuring several restaurants offering a holiday-themed dish or beverage. Check-in at participating locations,
collect points, and win unique prizes.
- Dickens Illuminated Procession (Dec. 8): Bring something that twinkles or glows and join in a
- leisurely stroll through Fernandina’s historic district for an evening of merriment and cheer. Enjoy food trucks and entertainment and stay for the light show over the Fernandina Harbor Marina at 7:30 p.m. Create your own masterpiece for the procession at one of several lantern- making workshops with local artisan Faith B. Elliott. Dates and details can be found online.
- Dickens Enchanted Village (Dec. 9-11): Step into an exclusive holiday experience that will bring to life the magical feeling of snow globes in one of eight festive domes, each decorated in a unique Christmas theme. The forecast calls for snow!
- Dickens After Dark (Dec. 10): A Dickens event for adults 21 and older at the historic Lesesne House. This VIP party features unique specialty entertainment, historic ghost tours, festive food, drinks and much more.
- Run Like the Dickens (Dec. 10): Get moving and join this fun run on Amelia Island at Main Beach at 8:30 a.m. All are welcome, including dogs and kids!
Other holiday activities throughout Amelia Island include:
• Holiday Home Tour (Dec. 2-3): The Amelia Island Museum of History is hosting the 16th Annual
Holiday Home Tour daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Homes in the downtown historic district of Fernandina Beach are decorated by local florists and interior designers to spread the holiday spirit. Docents guide visitors through the lavishly decorated homes to highlight their history and period architectural elements.
- Run the Runway (Dec. 3): Prepare to takeoff for a great cause at the 2nd Annual Run the Runway 5K, a one-of-a-kind race on the actual runway of Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport. This chip-timed event includes shirts, awards, swag bags, entertainment and more. Proceeds support efforts to provide STEM educational resources for underserved kids.
- Lighted Christmas Parade (Dec. 3): This event kicks off the holiday season on Amelia Island
with glowing reviews each year. The parade includes lighted cars, floats, and decorated
vehicles of all kinds from local businesses and organizations.
- New Year’s Eve Shrimp Drop (Dec. 31): This crustacean sensation features live music, food
- vendors, family-friendly festivities, fireworks, and more, as crowds gather to enjoy Amelia
- Island’s own unique “shrimp-sized” take on the Times Square Ball Drop.
- Amelia Island Chamber Music Festival (January-May): This annual series features a wide variety of chamber music entertainment. For the 22nd season, artists and performances include Dover Plays (Amy) Beach at the Beach; the National Philharmonic of Ukraine; Emerson
- String Quartet – Farewell Tour; Mark O’Connor “Beethoven & Bluegrass;” and many more.
- Amelia Island Restaurant Week (Jan. 20-29): Northeast Florida’s Amelia Island is setting the table for the 15th Annual Amelia Island Restaurant Week. The 10-day, island-wide culinary celebration serves up special events and fixed lunch and dinner menus at some of the island’s
- most popular and award-winning restaurants.
For a complete list of events, as well as special offers and packages from Amelia Island’s collection of award-winning hotels, beds and breakfasts, and resorts, visit AmeliaIsland.com/Festivals-and-Events.
*All activities are subject to change. Advanced notice will be given when possible.